Monday, July 21, 2008

Fickett's Life Takes Tragic Turn After Leaving Pine Valley

My favorite All My Children star Mary Fickett (ex-Ruth Martin) is featured in Fredericksburg's The Free Lance Star article HERE.

It is hard to believe that one of the program's most talented, and vivacious actresses is now bedridden with a failing memory. Though she is probably must famously known for her Ruth's powerful anti-war speech after Phil was drafted to the Vietnam war, I will always remember her subtle performances on and around the days Tad died in 1990. Fickett is a class act, a real actor's actor.

I have made my opinions clear that I never condoned the recast of Ruth with Lee Meriweather. It appears as if the recast was surprise for Mary as well. Unlike the situation with many veterans today, Mary declined a sure contract to go on recurring. She was on recurring for a year before Lee came on. Mary, ever the classy woman, agreed to reprise the role from 1998-2003 after the falling out Lee had with the show in regards to her own contract's renewal.

Though many criticize the show for pushing Lee's Ruth into the background, I thought it was so disrespectful to longtime fans and Mary, a founding cast member, to even recast. Now with it clear that Mary will never be coming home, I think it is time to finally retire the character of Ruth and give Mary the proper send-off that her 25 years plus career at ABC deserves.

No comments: